Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So When Is It Not Showing Off?

k for some reason, i always am deemed to be someone who shows off. i dunno why.

but actually, i'm at my current state of thinking, i'm not just thinking of myself. i'm thinking abt everyone. the question on my mind is, why is when people use new stuff, it's considered showing off?

i mean, what's the deal? wasn't the thing bought to be used anyway? k for example, my camera. so i bought a camera this year. and i bring it quite a lot of places. and a lot of times, when i bring out my camera, ppl say, "oh new camera la, trying to show off." which is something that i just can't stand. i mean, i've been a person who has loved taking photos, whether it's artistic or not, or whether it's nice or not, since 2005 since i last remember. and i've been using my camera phone to take so many pics. i've got tons. so that's proof (if you needed it) that i really do like taking photos. so isn't it fair, since i bought a new camera, to bring it around and use it? i mean that's what it's for right? to be used. to take pictures. i mean, just cause it's new i'm not supposed to bring it out and use it?

it's not like i'm shoving it in your face and asking you to check it out or even boasting about it. i NEVER did any of those. true that i do take weird shots and some are just random shots. but hey, i take what i feel is nice. whatever looks nice. to me. don't i have the right to do that without being judged as a show off trying to show off his new camera by taking weird shots. like i'm trying to impress you. please, i've got better things to do than impress you. i don't deny that there i times where i ask you to see photos that i take cuz i think they look nice. but hey, can't i be proud of a picture esp when i'm NOT a professional photographer, nvr taken and photography class, read anything abt photography, and don't even have a DSLR?

it's just irritating the way using new stuff is associated with showing off the new thing. i would honestly say it's fucking immature. it's a good thing that i can handle stuff like this. i mean, you can think i' the biggest show off in the world (and i know some people have eventhough they haven't told me), but that will never stop me from taking photos. cuz if i had enough money, i'd hire a photographer to follow me around in my life and take photos of everything. cuz everything in my life i would like to record somehow.

but enough of me. what about those people who can't handle it? who take whatever you say quite seriously? what if you hurt them by calling them a show off? (of course provided they never did anything to show off) you could cause them to just hide away their stuff and never use that thing. for example, the camera again, if you call someone a show off just because they use a new camera, and this person takes it personally and never uses the camera again. thus missing out on so many potentially beautiful pics and memories that come their way. you happy with that?


of course, after saying all this, i may be wrong. hey, i don't know everything right? but to me, i don't think anyone should associate the use of new stuff to being a show off. it was bought to be used. not left in the cupboard. and honeslty, i think it's only the asians who have this mentality for some reason. yes i'm speaking as asian. it's sad to say. haih. and it's like the older ppl also do it. the people who should be mature.

wow. my thoughts are all over the place. but whatever. i needed to let this out cause of recent events. i bought it to use it. and i don't care what you think abt me using it. but think of others you put this mentality on.

so when is it or when is it not showing off? i'd like to know.

Currently Listening To: New Again - Taking Back Sunday

5 comments:

weiwen said...

My thoughts exactly. Yup, it is an asian mentality. But most of the time, I think they are kidding. You know, just to comment on your new stuff. But yea.. a bit childish, although I am not all mature and stuff. I like to be silly once in a while..

kim said...

I should take my camera out everywhere I go and start snapping more photos like you. Then ppl can start directing their show-off comments on me instead, and you can take a rest from their childishness. Good idea, no? I don't mind ppl calling me a show-off..haha! Btw, using just a digicam and not some fancy camera, you take some pretty cool shots. Really!

Anyway, I should really start going crazy clicking away. My camera collecting dust only. My bro must be thinking he wasted money buying it for me..hahahaha!

Study hard la, don't get upset over these nonsense!

Bernard "xiaoqiu" said...

ya ben... dont worry bout wat people say. and we know that u r not a show off person.

kalau siape berani cakap lagi, aku akan settle dia..muaahhaa

Ben J said...

Wei Wen:
yeah sometimes they are kidding. but sometimes, it's still kinda irritating la. and sometimes it's the person who says it and the way they say it i guess. so u know whether they're serious or not. hmmm. and haha. i'm so not mature either. ;P

Kim:
haha! nah, don't take out your cam jus to kena show off so i won't kena la. haha. i can take it too. just that it can get irritatin la. and thx too. my photos ok only la. haha. and yeah la. take out ur cam and start using it! or give meeee :D haha!

Bern:
haha. thx bro. :D and yeah sure settle for me i don't mind. haha.

glo teng said...

haha kim is that one of the reasons why you are on a photo-taking frenzy too?

ben. i love your pics. most importantly, it saves me from taking out my camera and uploading the photos.. haha.. i can just leech from you... :p man. i realy sound like a parasite..